What a year 2010 was !! Business Intelligence was the toast of the town, proof of which could be assessed with the number of acquisitions and consolidations that had occurred in the market place. Now with 2010 passing by and 2011 just knocking our doors, I felt that the current topic would be an apt one to sign off this year’s last blog post.
What To Expect
- Increase in BI adoption thereby increase in the number of BI users
- Preference for a single BI vendor platform for better support and bang on buck
- Greater support for mobile BI and native BI data presentation for smart phones
- Increased usage of in-built analytics or packaged analytic solutions
- In-memory BI applications finding their foothold through departmental BI
- On-demand BI to service the SME segment via SaaS model
- New versions from most of the tool vendors essentially necessitated due to the latest mergers and acquisitions
- Big data solutions like Hadoop being looked at as an alternative to EDWs
- Aggressive push from appliance providers like Neteeza, Exadata etc.
- Social analytics – Ability to aggregate trends, hash tags, discussions from social media into native BI applications
- Excel continues to rule
- Master Data Management (MDM) would surge forward with increased executive sponsorship
What Not to Expect
- BI on cloud – Can the hype sustain and deliver?
- Key innovations from the big tool vendors
- IT holding the key to BI & DWH initiatives
- Decrease in IT spending on BI initiatives
Pundits are already in town with their predictions and I am sure that you too would have few of your own. Feel free to share them.
Wishing you all a wonderful and prosperous 2011 !!